Friday, December 18, 2009

Cross Country Skiing

Today was our friend Josh Cogar's birthday and to celebrate Josh and his wife Julie invited us to go cross country skiing with them! It was our first time and we were thrilled to accept the invite!

Due to the fact that this kind of skiing was something entirely new to Joe and I and we were OFTEN on our butts we decided that Josh, and Josh alone, was allowed to ski with the camera out of the bag. So 90% of the following shots were taken by him skiing ahead and capturing us in action.



Of course I had to pose for the camera :)



Click read more below to see more photos!






Me & My honey... you can tell it was a lot of work!

Josh & Julie, I love this pic!


Smoochin :)


After a while we stopped for a quick breather in a big meadow...I took off my skis and therefore was allowed to touch the camera :)


I have to admit I like his new beard :)


My gorgeous friend Julie


Such awesome friends!
So at this point I wanted to move but one couldn't walk on the snow or you would sink down about 3 foot. So I handed the camera to Julie while I tried to move and we quickly found she has quite a talent for photography!






But soon we had to give the camera back to Josh and continue on...


Thanks for showing off my skill Josh :)


Notice the above pictures have all been big wide open spaces and flat easy terrain...


Not any more!

Before you look, I have to explain the next sequence of shots. Josh was leading and decided we should cross the stream. Right away Joe, Julie and I realized his skill level may have gotten him across, but ours most likely would not. However, we all then became fifth graders and dared Joe to follow him, (Its amazing how childish you can become when your not trying to be a parent!) and Joe fell for the peer pressure.


Joe straddling the stream, half way across...


Joe's pole failing to help him...


Joe slipping back into the freezing creek...
(and me deciding I would abandon and find a different route)


Joe making a heroic and successful lunge forward to avoid the calamity. In the end only his boots got slightly wet....but it was fun to watch!

The reason we had to cross the stream though was to make it to a very special spot. We didn't realize it, but Josh was taking us back to the place that he had proposed to Julie 8 years ago. He had skied in the night before their planned trip to hide a box with the proposal under this very log so that they could discover it the next day together and he could propose. It's an amazingly romantic story and it was really fun to go back with them to the very spot it had all happened.


A semi re-enactment


She said she'd stay married to him :)



Then we decided to take a break and eat a hearty snack of corn nuts, Whoppers and Twix bars. And I was allowed to have the camera once again :)



Josh couldn't wait for his corn nuts :)

And a few pics of my amazing husband rounds out the photography of our trip.


I promise this one isn't posed! Can you see where Katey gets her amazing eyes?


I'm a very lucky women to have such an amazing husband and friends. Life is good!

No comments: